We're raising awareness about maternal mortality in Chicagoland
We are asking people to share birth stories to better understand the origins of poor birth experiences and outcomes in the Chicago metropolitan area. Our goal is to bring awareness to the diversity of birth experiences by building an interactive map to share these stories. We hope to use these stories to generate new designs to improve maternal health in Chicagoland through systems engineering and design thinking, a collaborative, empathy-driven process to design products or initiatives.
What are we doing?
- Encouraging people who gave birth or attended a birth in Chicago and surrounding suburbs to talk about positive and challenging birth experiences – including during prenatal, labor & delivery, and postpartum periods
- Building a community of mothers, researchers, birth workers, and activists interested in understanding the diversity of birth experiences and improving outcomes
- Using design thinking and systems engineering to understand the origin of poor birth outcomes and generate new designs
- Building a map to visualize the diversity of birth experiences across the city (Birth Stories Map)
How can you support us?
- Join our community to receive updates about activities here
- Follow us on social media: Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
- Share a birth experience on our website or by using #chicagobirthstories
- Volunteer to be interviewed or participate in one of our design thinking sessions (contact us for more information)
- Encourage others in your community to share their birth experiences